Money redirection or refund

In order to use the "Refund Form" or the "Money Transfer Form", it is necessary to log in to the Elektrum portal.

Choose the type of application

The "refund application" must be used if you have made an incorrect payment of your electricity and therefore want us to refund your money.

The application for "money redirection" must be used in the following cases: if you have made an incorrect payment for electricity, for example, you have mixed the contract numbers; if you have sold the object, but you want to transfer the overpayment to the new electricity supply contract; if you want to tranfer the paid money from one contract to another.